Monday, April 29, 2013

Modge Podge side table… fun and funky!

This weekend the weather was absolutely beautiful, and I couldn't help myself but to be outside. With that being said, I unfortunately did not get to any new crafting projects this weekend. BUT, I thought I would share with you guys a project that I did when I was preparing the nursery for my daughter! Since I wasn't planning to blog about this project at the time, I don't have step-by-step photos, or a photo of the original piece that I purchase, but I will do my best to give you instructions you can follow without the photos!

When I was working on getting my daughter's nursery put together, I knew that I wanted some kind of side table for next to the rocking chair (for bottles, tissues, etc). I decided that I wanted something unique and fun to go along with the color scheme (which was gray and light pink with black accents). During one of what seemed like weekly trips to Michaels, I was strolling down the unfinished wood aisle, and came across this table that had two sides that folded down with a small shelf on the bottom. It was the perfect height and size for a smaller room, so I just HAD to get it. Even though I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do with it at the time, for around $12, I couldn't pass it up. (the picture below in the "supplies" section it a similar version of the table, but mine was smaller). After a little thinking, I decided it might be fun to try to modge podge the table with scrapbooking paper, since I had seen an entire book of paper in the colors of the nursery. Sooooo… that is where this idea all began!


Here is the finished product:




Supplies:
• Unfinished wood table
• Scrapbook paper in colors of your choosing (cut into 4x4" squares)
• Modge Podge
• Foam brush (small enough size to fit into the Modge Podge container)
• Black gloss spray paint (I used an indoor/outdoor so that I knew it would stand up to things being spilled on it!)
• Acrylic gloss coating spray
• Newspaper, paper bags or cardboard (to use on the table when spray painting)
• Sand paper
• Rubber gloves (optional)



Step One:
Give the table a light sanding. Since this is an unfinished table, you don't really have to sand too much, but I did just to get rid of any rough patches on the wood. 

Take the table to a well ventilated area (such as an open garage or outside), and cover the entire area under the table with newspaper, paper bags or cardboard to keep the spray paint from getting onto the surface under the table. If you would like, use rubber gloves (or gloves of some sort) when spray painting to keep any dripping of the paint off of your hands. Give the table a good coat of spray paint on all sides. (I had to get down into a lot of weird positions to make sure I sprayed all areas of the table!) Let the first coat dry completely. Once dry, give it another coat of spray paint. I only needed 2 coats, but if you feel it needs another coat for complete coverage, go ahead and do so.


Step Two:
Before you start this next step, if you would like, layout all of your 4x4 squares of scrapbook paper to figure out how you would like them organized on your table. I just started with one and put the look together as I went. 

Start in the middle of the table, and apply modge podge to both the table surface and the back of the paper. Lay the paper onto the table and press flat. If you would like to get a nice smooth look, use a credit card (or something similar) to press down all edges of the paper. Then apply another layer of modge podge over the top of the paper. Continue to work outward from your first piece, and repeat these same steps with the modge podge. I saved the edges of the table till the end since those were just a tad trickier.

For the edges, place the paper square where it would need to be (don't modge podge yet), and from the under side, trace the edge of the table onto the overhang of the paper. Remove the paper and trim off the excess that hangs over the table. Now you can repeat the layers of modge podge. Do these same steps with all of the edge pieces. (It might sound more difficult than it actually is – I swear!) 

My table also had a small shelf underneath, so I chose to also modge podge the top of that. It would have looked fine just black, it's just a preference.




Step Three:
When you have completely the entire table top and the modge podge is completely dry, take the table back out into a well ventilated area. Give the table a coat or two of the acrylic gloss coating. This will not only give the table a nice, finished, glossy look, but it will help protect the entire table from spills and stains. Once the spray is dry (which only take about 20 minutes), you are all done!!!!! 

Now you can go show off your fun and funky side table!








Hope you enjoy your new table and Happy Monday!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of my craftin'!